Across the length and breadth of Nigeria, here are the biggest stories around Nigeria’s legislators and the institution of parliament you mustn’t miss this Tuesday:
Protest as Akwa Ibom Senator’s convoy kills couple
Protests by angry youths have rocked Akon-Itam Community in Akwa Ibom State following a fatal accident involving the vehicle convoy of the Senator representing Eket Senatorial District, Akon Eyakenyi.
The crash which occurred along the Calabar-Itu Highway is said to have happened after the convoy of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) Deputy Governorship Candidate rammed into the couple on a motorcycle while trying to navigate the ever-busy highway connecting the neighbouring Calabar, resulting in their death.
As reported by The Leadership, the situation was reportedly exacerbated by the Senator’s alleged disdainful handling of a N2 million compensation package to the family of the deceased without considering how the three young orphans would be trained and developed without their parents.
2023: “Double registrants won’t be disenfranchised during election” – INEC
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has reiterated its promise that no eligible citizen would be disenfranchised during the 2023 general election, including those who embarked on double registration for Permanent Voters Card (PVC).
Chairman of INEC’s Information and Voter Education Committee, Festus Okoye, who disclosed this to PUNCH on Sunday, explained that such individuals can vote with their previous cards, as the commission decided to retain their previous valid registration in order not to disenfranchise them completely.
“Only registrants that met the constitutional and legal requirements for registration will collect their Permanent Voter Cards. Those that engaged in double and multiple registrations are not entitled to new Permanent voter Cards and the commission did not print their cards,” Okoye noted.
Benue Senator decries terrible state of Otukpo road, insecurity
The lawmaker representing Benue South Senatorial District, Abba Moro, has bemoaned the Otukpo Township Road’s terrible state and growing insecurity in his Senatorial District.
Senator Moro, who was speaking at the ongoing 10th edition of the Idoma International Carnival, stressed that the eight-kilometre stretch of road (from the General Hospital to the roundabout) was not too much of a corporate social responsibility for a company to handle as a way of giving back to society.
On the spate of insecurity which he noted was hindering development in the area, the former Interior Minister said: “The time has come [when] we’ve to take our destiny into our hands. If the police and the security agencies can’t provide security for us, do we fold our hands and get ourselves killed without asking questions and without reacting?”
ADC Rep undertakes palliative repairs on Kabba-Egbe-Ilorin Road
A member of the House of Representatives representing Yagba Federal Constituency, Rep. Leke Abejide, has commenced palliative works on the 70-kilometre Kabba-Egbe-Ilorin Road from Ilu-Hagba to Egbe.
The intervention by Abejide, who chairs the House Committee on Customs and Excise, is the second of such palliative work in the last year since he undertook the rehabilitation of the 20-kilometre road from Ilu-Hagba to Isanlu.
The ADC lawmaker disclosed that the motive behind the current intervention was to make the road more motorable for travellers during the festive seasons.
UBEC Fund: “Governor Abdulrazaq must retract lies against me” – Saraki
President of the Eighth Senate, Dr Abubakar Bukola Saraki has faulted the claim by the Kwara State Governor, Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq that he used his position to prevent anti-graft agencies from investigating his alleged embezzlement of the Universal Basic Education (UBEC) Fund.
As contained in a press statement issued on Monday by Saraki’s media office, the former Kwara lawmaker described the claim as n outright lie, alleging that the governor was resorting to such cheap escape measure to mask his failure in governance.
“Now, I will have to take strong measures by challenging him in court since he will not desist from fabricating lies against me. “I have told my lawyers to write him to retract the statement or be ready to prove it in court,” Saraki stated.
READ ALSO: “Lawan to get N7.5 million as severance in 2023” | The News Roundup
Aladeokomo Babatunde Sunday
December 27, 2022 at 9:30 pm
The issue of my slaughter in Akwa-Ibom state shouldn’t be matter of personal compensation it’s an issue of the law that necessary damage have to be paid. You don’t just wipe off two ordinary Nigerians and think you will buy their lives with just 2million Naira. It’s not done. My prayers are with the family of the deceased