OrderPaperToday – Like its predecessors, the 9th National Assembly has been on the process of reviewing the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (as amended) with some level of citizens engagement.
The process has been through zonal public hearings and a national town hall where the views of Nigerians were harvested.
However, Nigerians have continued to ventilate and identify priority areas they want amended in the constitution. And this is expected to continue as long as the National Assembly Ad-hoc Committee on the Review is yet to even present its findings to.
To advance the advocacy on citizen demands on the Constitution Review process, OrderPaper Nigeria has been convening a series of OPEN Constitution Conversation to garner citizens’ perception and recommendations on cardinal issues in the review exercise.
There have been four sessions of the OPEN (OrderPaper Parliamentary Engagement Nigeria) Constitution Conversations Series convened between May and October, 2021. These virtual meetings featured eminent and distinguished Nigerians from the National Assembly, Business and Economy, Civil Society, Academia, and even the media, among other segments of society.
The outcome of these sessions have been compiled and produced as a compendium for citizen engagement of the National Assembly on the constitution review exercise.
Find the compendium here for your reference and advocacy within your networks.
We convened these OPEN Constitution sessions as part of our mandate to provide effective citizen-parliament interfaces; and our firm belief that democracy is anchored on effective citizens’ participation!
We have made available the under-listed videos for your learning on the constitution review process.
- 8 Steps to amend the 1999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (As amended) https://youtu.be/ihcU3cXEL4g
- How the 19999 Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria (As amended) is being amended https://youtu.be/-TZKKTIu30k
- How Constitution amendment can guarantee Local Government efficiency in Nigeria https://youtu.be/VwauKexycRg
- Why citizens should demand constitutional fix for budget timelines in Nigeria https://youtu.be/KL5CsaQTlzw
- Corruption: Fix public audit to tackle the menace https://youtu.be/E8mavop-y8A