This week, in continuation of our series on lawmakers seeking to be governors of their state, attention is on a first-term lawmaker in the 9th National Assembly and Governorship Candidate of the Action Democratic Party (ADP) in Kano State
Reputed to be the first non-indigenous politician from outside the walled city of Kano to be elected to parliament, he’s got loads of controversies too.
Check out our profile of Sha’aban Ibrahim Sharada; a 40-year-old member of the House of Representatives and one-time ‘most powerful media aide’ of President Muhammadu Buhari, on this edition of Parliament Spotlight.
- Member representing Kano Municipal Federal Constituency (2019 – date)
All Progressives Congress (APC)
- Chairman, House Committee on National Security and Intelligence
Ninth National Assembly
- As a first-term lawmaker, he was appointed Chairman of one of the most sensitive committees in the House responsible for coordinating oversight of public security and intelligence matters of the federation
- Gave scholarship covering admission, air tickets, school fees and upkeep allowance to about 80 indigent students in his constituency to study in Sudan.
- In 2020, he was elected as the President of the Network of African Parliamentarians for Defence and Security Committees in charge of Anglophone countries.
- In 2021, he was elected as the President-General of the Network of African Parliamentarians for Defence and Security Committees
- Member, Directorate of Communication (2011)
CPC Presidential Campaign Council
- Member, Directorate of Communication (2015)
APC Presidential Campaign Council
- Personal Assistant to the President on Broadcast Media (2015 – 2018)
State House, Abuja
- Governorship Candidate (2022)
Action Democratic Party (ADP)
MAJOR POLITICAL ACHIEVEMENTS
- A national daily touted the lawmaker in a June 2017 publication as the President’s ‘Most Powerful Media Aide.’
- Sharada is acclaimed as one of the first non-indigene politicians from outside the walled city of Kano to win an election to parliament in the state
- Sharada defeated a member of the State Executive Council (during the primaries) and the incumbent lawmaker in the 2019 National Assembly election with over thirty thousand votes.
MAJOR POLITICAL CONTROVERSIES
- As Presidential aide, he was alleged to be pompous and flamboyant, using every opportunity to demonstrate his closeness to the president by calling him on the phone.
- Before he fell out with Governor Ganduje, he criticised the governor for allegedly selling plots of land belonging to the state for personal enrichment.
- In June 2021, the Ward Chapter of his party, the All Progressives Congress (APC) banned him from relating with members of the party for one year over complaints of alleged high-handedness.
- In May 2022, Sharada alleged that he “narrowly” escaped an assassination plot at the All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship primaries in Kano
- In August 2022, he decamped to the Action Democratic Party (ADP).READ ALSO: Parliament Spotlight: Francis Ogbonna Nwifuru | Speaker, Ebonyi State House of Assembly
Monday Yari Tama
Tama Monday Yari is a data scientist, political analyst, economic development consultant, and certified African Civic Engagement Professional from the University of Georgia, USA. He holds a Bachelor's Degree in Economics from Wellspring University and is adept at analysing political and economic trends