With just a few days before the Proclamation of a new National Assembly, what should observers of the parliament expect? Check out this week’s edition of ParliamentMeme highlighting ten things to expect at the inauguration of the 10th House of Representatives.
- As Members-Elect assemble at the Chamber for the first meeting of the House, the Clerk to the National Assembly (CNA) will proceed to read the Proclamation of the President for holding the session.
This will be followed by the roll call and confirmation of receipt of Certificates of Return, acknowledgement of Declaration of Assets and other requisite documents of Members-elect in alphabetical order of States and the FCT, Abuja.
2. A Member-Elect will rise to address the Clerk and nominate another Member-elect with legislative experience in the National Assembly to become Speaker. This can be done multiple times where there are multiple candidates.
Each nomination is, however, to be seconded by another Member-elect. Both the proposers and seconders are referred to as ‘Tellers.’
- The Member-elect(s) nominated will inform the House whether he accepts or declines the nomination.
He/she shall be given a period of five (5) minutes to address the House on his/her intention to become Speaker.
READ ALSO: Parliament Meme: Election for President of the Nigerian Senate [Part II]
- The election of the Speaker and Deputy Speaker shall take place where every Member-elect is expected to participate.
- Voting will be done via electronic means or be conducted by the Clerk to the National Assembly using the list of the Members-elect of the House.
6. The Clerk of the House will submit the result of the election to the Clerk to the National Assembly, who will declare the Member-elect with the highest number of votes as Speaker-elect.
- During the election, debates, points of order or questions of privilege are not entertained.
DECLARATION OF ASSETS AND OATH OF OFFICE
- The Speaker and Deputy Speaker shall declare their assets and liabilities before subscribing to the Oath of Allegiance and Oath of Membership as prescribed in the Constitution before the Clerk to the National Assembly (CNA).|
- The Speaker shall render his/her acknowledgement to the House for the honour and sits on the chair.
- Every Member-elect shall take and subscribe to the Oath/Affirmation of Allegiance and Oath of Membership before the Speaker. This is as prescribed in the Seventh Schedule to the Constitution.
Parliament Meme is a public service programme by OrderPaper Nigeria designed to break down the esoteric terminologies of the legislature and how the institution of parliament generally functions.