We spotlight the winners of the National Assembly Elections for the three Senatorial Districts and ten Federal Constituencies in Nigeria’s South-Southern State of Delta. The list follows the election management body’s declaration of victors from the February 25 contest
Like other states in the South-South geo-political zone, perhaps with the exception of Edo, Delta State has largely been a major stronghold of the Peoples’ Democratic Party (PDP) in Nigeria.
Going into the elections on February 25, the party had the governor, deputy governor and just one of the three Senators from the state from within its rank- following the defection of Senator Peter Nwaoboshi to the All Progressives Congress (APC). In the Green Chamber, however, the party produced nine of the ten Members of the House of Representatives from the state and had an overwhelming majority in the State House of Assembly.
On the other hand, its rival party, the APC, boasted of just one of the House of Representatives members and two of the state’s three Senators. Interestingly, one of its Senators holds the position of Deputy President of the Senate and is seeking a move to the Delta State Government House.
These developments meant that the 2023 election was certainly going to be a keen contest and it did live up to the suspense around it. The declaration of National Assembly elections results by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) revealed a mixed bag of fortunes for the two major parties and a fair show from a third force; the Labour Party (LP) in the state
While the APC retained two of the Senate seats and its lone seat in the Green Chamber, the PDP retained most of its seats in the House but lost two seats to the youth-backed LP. The polls also saw the loss of bigwigs like the House Minority Leader, Ndudi Godwin Elumelu and Ossai Nicholas Ossai. An APC bigwig, Peter Nwaoboshi, who is currently in prison, also lost out.
Below is the full list of the Senators-Elect and Members-Elect as declared by INEC:
- Delta Central Senatorial District – Ede Dafinone Omueya (APC)
- Delta South Senatorial District – Thomas Ewomazino Joel-Onowakpo (APC)
- Delta North Senatorial District – Chinedu Nwoko (PDP)
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
- Aniocha North/South Federal Constituency: Ngozi Okolie (LP)
- Bomadi/Patani Federal Constituency – Nicholas Ebomo Mutu (PDP) – Re-elected
- Burutu Federal Constituency:- Julius Gbabojor Pondi (PDP) – Re-elected
- Ethiope Federal Constituency – Erhiatake Ibori (PDP)
- Ika North -East/South Federal Constituency – Victor Nwokolo (PDP)- Re-elected
- Isoko Federal Constituency – Jonathan Ukhodhiko (PDP)
- Ndokwa East/Ndokwa West/Ukwuani Federal Constituency – Nnamdi Ezechi (PDP)
- Okpe/Sapele/Uvwie Federal Constituency – Benedict Etanabene (LP)
- Warri Federal Constituency – Thomas Erieyitomi (PDP)- Re-elected
- Ughelli North/ Ughelli South/Udu Federal Constituency – Francis Ejiroghene Waive (APC) – Re-elected