The North West geo-political zone comprises Kaduna, Kano, Katsina, Kebbi, Jigawa, Sokoto, and Zamfara States. In this Third-Year Appraisal of the Ninth National Assembly, we examine the performance of the federal legislators from the zone since 2019.
The zone has a total of 21 Senators and 92 members in the House of Representatives at the National Assembly
Senators from the seven states of the zone varied in performance in terms of bill sponsorship in the third year of the Ninth National Assembly. In the period under review, 1,009 bills were sponsored by lawmakers in the Red Chamber and the North West Senators sponsored a total of 127 bills, constituting 12.6% of the total Senate bills.
The performance analysis of the States in terms of bills sponsorship is revealed in the table below:
|S/N||STATE||BILLS TALLY||% OF TOTAL SENATE BILLS TALLY (1,009)|
SPECIAL CATEGORIES OF SENATORS FROM THE ZONE
- Senator Ibrahim Abdullahi Gobir (APC, Sokoto East), Senate Majority Leader who sponsored nine bills
- Senator Danjuma Tella La’ah (PDP, Kaduna South), Deputy Senate Minority Whip with three bills in his name.
The zone has no female Senator in the National Assembly.
- Senator Aliyu Wamakko (APC, Sokoto North) with six bills.
- Senator Kabir Gaya (APC, Kano South) has three bills to his credit.
- Senator Adamu Aliero (PDP, Kebbi Central) with three bills in his name.
- Senator Ibrahim Shekarau (PDP, Kano Central ) who sponsored zero bills.
BILLS PRODUCTIVITY (NORTH WEST SENATE CAUCUS)
The Leading Senators are:
- Senator Yahaya Abdullahi (PDP, Kebbi North) sponsored seven bills. – Four have been passed for concurrence while others at different stages of legislative input.
- Senator Uba Sani (APC, Kaduna Central), has 31 bills to his credit. – Two have gotten presidential assent, three have been passed for concurrence and others are at different stages of legislative considerations.
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES SCORECARD
Members of the House of Representatives from this zone recorded varied performance in terms of bill sponsorship. They accounted for 309 bills which constitute 15.61% of the total of 1,979 bills sponsored by lawmakers in the Green Chamber.
The performance analysis of the House of Representatives members from the zone is represented below:
|S/N||STATE||BILLS TALLY||% OF TOTAL HOUSE BILLS TALLY (1,979)|
- Rep. Alhassan Ado-Adoguwa (APC, Kano), Majority Leader of the House of Representatives.
- Rep. Gideon Lucas Gwani (PDP, Kaduna), Minority Whip of the House of Representatives.
- There are no female representatives in the Green Chamber from the North West geo-political zone.
- Rep Yakubu Umar Barde (PDP, Kaduna), currently serving his fifth term, has sponsored four bills.Four lawmakers serving their fourth term are as follows:
- Rep.Tijjani Abdulkadir Jobe (APC, Kano) sponsored zero bills
- Rep. Musa Sarki Adar (APC, Sokoto) also has zero bills to show for three years.
- Rep. Muhammad Ali Wudil (APC, Kano) has six bills in his name.
- Rep Badamasi Ayuba (NNPP, Kano) also has six bills to his credit.