Nigeria’s South West geo-political zone has six states comprising Ekiti, Lagos, Ogun, Ondo, Osun, and Oyo. In this Third-Year Appraisal of the Ninth National Assembly, we examine the performance of the federal legislators from the zone since 2019.
The zone has eighteen Senators and 71 Members of the House of Representatives.
Senator Michael Opeyemi Bamidele (APC, Ekiti Central), led the pack of federal lawmakers from the South West zone at mid-term (2019 – 2021) with 17 bills. However, the Ekiti lawmaker has now been overtaken by Senator Ibikunle Amosun (APC, Ogun Central), who stands ahead of Senator Bamidele (23 bills) with 24 bills to his credit in the last three years.
Senator Ibikunle Amosun comes in at number eight on the Top Ten Rankings of the 109 Senators based on bills sponsorship. He is the only former governor from the region who happens to be on the chart.
In the period under review (third year of the 9th National Assembly), Senators from the six states of the zone have mixed performance in terms of bill sponsorship.
They sponsored a total of 204 bills, constituting 20.2% of the 1,009 bills sponsored by lawmakers in the Red Chamber.
|S/N||STATE||BILLS TALLY||% OF TOTAL SENATE BILLS TALLY (1,009)|
SPECIAL CATEGORIES OF SENATORS FROM THE ZONE
- Senator Robert Ajayi Boroffice –Deputy Senate Majority Leader, with five bills to his credit in the period under review.
- Senator Oluremi Shade Tinubu (APC, Lagos Central) with six bills sponsored, and two passed
- Senator Biodun Christine Olujimi (PDP, Ekiti South) with six bills sponsored, which are at different stages of legislative consideration
- Senator Ibikunle Amosun (APC, Ogun Central) with 24 bills.
BILLS PRODUCTIVITY (SOUTH WEST SENATE CAUCUS)
The three leading.Senators from the zone are:
1. Senator Ibikunle Amosun (APC, Ogun Central) – From a total of 24 bills, three have been passed for concurrence, while others are at different stages of legislative consideration.
2. Senator Buhari Abdulfatai (APC, Oyo North) – From a total of 14 bills, also has three bills passed for concurrence
3, Senator Solomon Olamilekan Adeola (APC, Lagos West) has 12 pieces of legislation, out of which three bills have been passed.
HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES SCORECARD
Like their counterparts in the Senate, members of the House of Representatives from the South West geo-political zone recorded varied performance in terms of bills sponsorship.
The seventy-one lawmakers from the zone in the Green Chamber sponsored a total of 346 bills, constituting 17.49% of the 1,979 bills in the House of Representatives during the period under review (2019 -2022).
|S/N||STATE||BILLS TALLY||% OF TOTAL HOUSE BILLS TALLY (1,979 BILLS)
SPECIAL CATEGORIES OF LAWMAKERS FROM THE ZONE
- Rep. Abdel-Majid Adekoya Adesegun – Deputy Minority Whip with five bills to his credit in the period under review.
1. Rep. Ogunlola Omowumi Olubunmi (APC, Ijero Ekiti West/Efon Federal Constituency, Ekiti State) with seven bills
2, Rep. Adewumi Oriyomi Onanuga (APC, Ikene/ Sagamu Remo North Federal Constituency, Ogun State) with four bills
3. Rep. Tolulope Tiwalola Akande-Sadipe (APC, Oluyole Federal Constituency, Oyo State), with two bills and
4. Rep Taiwo Olukemi Oluga (APC, Ayedaade/Irewole/Isokan Federal Constituency, Osun State) with ten bills.