OrderPaperToday – Nigeria’s election management body, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has announced a schedule of activities and implementation dates for the 2023 General Election.
He explained that the Commission could not release the detailed Timetable and Schedule of Activities for the General Election, as it normally would, because of the pending enactment of the Electoral Act 2022.
However, with the signing into law of the legislation on Friday, adjustments became necessary to ensure compliance with provisions of the new Electoral Act.
Referencing relevant statutes, Yakubu noted that INEC is required by law to make a publication of Notice of Election not later than 360 days before the day appointed for holding an election.
Hence, ahead of the publication, it announced the Timetable and Schedule of Activities for elections as follows:
- Conduct of party primaries, including the resolution of disputes arising from them – Monday 4th April 2022 to Friday 3rd June 2022.
- Submission of nomination forms to INEC via the online portal for Presidential and National Assembly election – 9.00am on Friday 10th June 2022 to 6.00pm on Friday 17th June 2022.
- Submission of nomination forms to INEC via the online nomination portal for Governorship and State Assembly elections – 9.00am on Friday 1st July 2022 to 6.00pm on Friday 15th July 2022. READ MORE: Buhari wants section of Electoral Act Amendment deleted
- Commencement of campaign by political parties for Presidential and National Assembly election – Wednesday 28th September 2022.
- Commencement of campaign by political parties for Governorship and State Assembly elections – Wednesday 12th October 2022.
- Last day of campaign by political parties for Presidential and National Assembly elections – midnight on Thursday 23rd February 2023.
- Last day of campaign by political parties for Governorship and State Assembly elections – midnight on Thursday 9th March 2023.
The Commission also hinted that it was set to publish the same at its offices across the States of the Federation on Monday 28th February 2022.
“The detailed Timetable and Schedule of Activities for the 2023 General Election will be circulated to the media at the end of this briefing. Soft copies will also be uploaded to the Commission’s website and social media platforms immediately.
In addition, the Notice of Election will be published in our offices in all the States of the Federation as required by law on Monday 28th February 2022.”
With the General Election now 363 days away, the Commission assured that it will work assiduously to conclude and publish new Regulations and Guidelines for the Conduct of Elections that are consistent with the Act.
This, it says will enable all stakeholders in the electoral process to become conversant with their provisions as they prepare for the 2023 General Election.
The Chairman reminded stakeholders, especially the political parties, of their responsibility to adhere strictly to the timelines in this Timetable and Schedule of Activities, as well as all other timelines established by the Commission.